COFFEE ICE CREAM
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 6 egg yolks
- chocolate curls for garnish
- Combine the cream, milk, sugar, and coffee in a medium, heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- Remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl.
- Whisk one cup of the hot cream into the egg yolks.
- Gradually add the egg mixture in a slow and steady stream to the hot cream.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and reaches 170 degrees (about 5 minutes)
- Remove from teh heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container.
- Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to keep a skin from forming.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Remove mixture from the refrigerator and pour into the bowl of an ice cream machine.
- Freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions
- After the ice cream is made, transfer to an air-tight container.
- Cover tightly and freeze until ready to serve.
- Garnish with chocolate curls.