- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, frozen
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sour cream, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt in a large bowl.
- With a cheese grater, grate the frozen butter using the largest holds
- Quickly cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or fork until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the buttermilk to the flour mixture and stir just until combined… DO NOT OVERMIX!!!
- On a floured surface, turn out the dough and roll out to a 1-inch thickness.
- Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut the biscuits and place on a rimmed sheet pan.
- Cook on the top rack of the oven for about 20 minutes or until light brown and remove from the oven.
- Brush the melted butter on top of each biscuit and return to the oven for about 5 minutes longer or until the biscuits are golden brown.